This learner-centered writing course prepares students for international English language tests (IELTS) and academic assignments. The students will investigate the reading and writing sections of the language test. During the course, they will develop the skills needed to meet those requirements. The students will also develop the skills required for preparing college-level essays and reports. Particular attention will be paid to the formal essay structure, standard citation systems such as APA or MLA based on student readiness and academic English use.
Useful English Language Writing Links
Useful IELTS Study Links
Learning Objectives (Teaching Aim and Purposes)
Through this course students will:
1. Develop a better understanding of the structure and requirements of the language proficiency test.
2. Create organized paragraphs in short essays based on experiences and research.
3. Develop reading and writing fluency through intensive and extensive reading.
4. Develop their academic writing skills through essays, reports, and research papers.
5. Produce a short research paper of 800-1,000 words within a guided environment.
6. Analyze and synthesize relevant information from college-level readings and lectures, take a position on an issue, and argue it persuasively.