ICR Class 12: Cycle 2 sharing news stories & graded reader 8: Super Book Talk Preparation
Summary: We are almost finished with your sharing listening to news stories (10) and graded readers (8).
When you have time this week, please write reflections in your Google Doc. to think about your English learning progress. The questions are:
1. How did you participate in class today? Please describe as best you can.
2. What did you learn about your issue? You speaking pairs issues?
3. What are your next SMART (simple, manageable, attainable, reasonable, timely) learning goals?
Sample Super Book Talk Slide Shows:
Presenters Homework for Class 13 on 07/10/2023:
1. Choose the best graded reader that you have already taken notes on to make your Super Book Talk presentation.
2. Review these loose Super Book Talk Guidelines. The goals are to:
-Do the Super Book Talk task
-Use a variety of sentences with some challenging vocabulary summarized by you
-Use of relevant and accurate details that show you read the book
-Demonstrate a complete understanding of the book you read
-Make inferences (guessing about the text) from the book and have a clear focus
-Easy to listen to with a sense of voice and explore acting of characters’ voices.
3. Digital sharing is best like PowerPoint, Google Slides, or Prezzie.
4. Please email me with your attachment or put your file in our shared Google file and I will be notified.
5. There are many students, and I would like to check and help with your English, so could you send me your file by Friday, 07/07/2023 at 2 PM, so I can check it?
6, There are some examples of Super Book Talk presentations from another university.
7. Please do not copy/paste the words from the book. It is better to summarize as best you can in your own words. However is there are some really cool phrases or sentences from the book you would like to share, please use “quotation marks.”
8. The title of the book and the author’s name needs to be included, and your name.
9. Usually, each Super Book talk should be about five to seven minutes with time for questions and answers from the audience.
10. Also could you remember to make a thank you and question and answer page at the end.
In case your listening and reading homework entries are not finished, please upload them to your Google Drive Shared file before class on 07/10/2023: Please upload the pictures of your notes in your Shared Google file under the section “第 12回 Cycle 2 Sharing News Stories & Graded Readers 8.”
In the Spring Semester, you do out-of-class listening (10 times about two pages each time) and read and talk about a minimum of 8 graded readers from the Chuo Library’s Maruzen eBook Library of graded readers. Please see the links and instructions below. The main thing is to do some homework every class. You can do little by little at your pace.
By note-taking, please feel free to use charts, diagrams, and colors as you like. Then, can you take pictures of them and put them in your shared drive file with me?
The Steps for the Graded Readers in The Maruzen eBook Library “6 Spring Semester: Downloading and reading e-books” in the link above and below is very important to follow. Please download your book quickly and save it because We can download only one book at Chuo University at one time:).
You can also read online here and one with old-fashioned hard copies of the books:
- The online selection of stories at A2 level (for pre-intermediate students) in the Reading Zone on the British Council website for ICR students: https://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/study-break/graded-reading/a2-graded-reading
- Series also in the Maruzen eBooks Library
- Macmillan Readers – Starter & Beginner levels
- Cengage Page Turners – levels 2, 3, 4 & 5
- Cambridge Discovery Readers – levels A1, A1+ & A2
- Other series
- Oxford Bookworms – Stages 1 & 2
- Penguin Readers – 1 (Beginner) and 2 (Elementary) levels
- Scholastic Readers – Starter Level and Level 1
And here is are the ICR links and docs for your homework below for your convenience:
Different Ways of Listening 英語の説明
Downloading and Reading e-books Maruzen eBook Downloading Service
Pingback: Introduction to Communication and Research -Chuo University; Faculty of Law | Stacey Vye's English Education Homepage