Class 04 L2 Motivation & The Ought-to Self
Summary: First, reviewed the definition of the L2 self system. Then, you got into pairs to speak about your idea self and vision you wrote from your Google Doc.
After that in new pairs, you discussed your current motivation by using these questions:
English Present (Language Learning Experience and Ought-to Self)
- What motivates you to learn English?
- How do you feel using English now?
- What are the best ways for you to study English?
- Which English classes are you taking at this university now?
- What are your recent goals for English this term?
- What English are you learning now?
- What English studies are you currently feeling you must do, but do not want to do?
- How do you develop your English skills these days?
- Do you use English for your hobbies, sports, or during your relaxation time? If so, please explain.
Finally, we reconvened to discuss vision, imagine, brain activity, and long-term commitment for language learning:
Dornyei, Z. (2016, December 02). Motivating learners and teachers through vision [Video]. Youtube: Cambridge University Press. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTLYjLksvg
Following the review, you got into new pairs to discuss Dornyei’s (2016) homework. Then, time permitting we measured our ought-to selves.
Finally, I explained the homework.
Please read and take notes on pages 5 to the first paragraph of page 12 of the article and enter the notes in your Google Doc for Class 04 by Tuesday by 4 PM. We will read this study in the link below, which is the same as the poster slowly over two classes, and this study is about University students’ motivation. Please take pictures of your notes and put them in the Class 04 Word document and send the attachment by Sunday, October 16th at 5 PM. You do not have to understand everything, and ask me questions anytime you have them.
Hughes, L. S., Vye, S., & Ray, D. (2020). The L2 motivational self system: A replication study. JALT Journal, 42(1), 5-28. https://jalt-publications.org/sites/default/files/pdf-article/jj2020a-art1.pdf
Note Taking Sample: